Dubai is a city and emirate in the United Arab Emirates known for luxury shopping, ultramodern architecture and a lively nightlife scene. Burj Khalifa, an 830m-tall tower, dominates the skyscraper-filled skyline. At its foot lies Dubai Fountain, with jets and lights choreographed to music. On artificial islands just offshore is Atlantis, The Palm, a resort with water and marine-animal parks.
The 10 Attractions You Must See in Dubai:
1. Burj Khalifa: At 829.8 meters tall, the Burj Khalifa stands proudly as the world's tallest building. Visit the observation deck on the 124th floor for a gravity-defying, jaw-dropping view.
2. Dubai Fountains: Brought to you by the same team behind the Bellagio fountains in Las Vegas, the Dubai Fountain show is a true spectacle. Grab a seat in a nearby cafe, and take it all in.
3. Burj al Arab: Dubai is home to the world's tallest hotel, the Burj Al-Arab. If you can't afford the $15,000/night luxury suite, try dining amongst the sea creatures in the underwater restaurant!
4. Palm Islands: There are two palm-shaped artificial islands off the coast. Palm Jumeirah already houses luxury villas and a waterpark. The larger Palm Jebel Ali is still under construction.
5. The World Dubai: Just 2.5 kilometers off the coast, The World Dubai is an artificial archipelago in the shape of the world map. These 300 mini-islands are secluded properties for exclusive investors.
6. Jumeirah Beach: Dubai gets some intense sun. And that means you'll be needing a beach. Jumeirah Beach is the best sandy strip in town, and the hub of hotels makes it a great homebase for tourists.
7. Dubai Creek: The creek divides Dubai into two towns (Deira to the north, Bur Dubai to the south). Check out the Dhow Wharfage, where some fishing dhows have anchored for over a century.
8. Dubai Museum: The Dubai museum is housed inside the 18th century Al-Fahidi Fort. Learn about the Emirates expansion after the oil boom, and examine traditional Emirati musical instruments.
9. Dubai Mall: In a city this well-known for luxury, you better believe the Dubai mall is a must-see! Inside, you'll find an entrance to Burj Khalifa, an ice-skating rink, a games center, and a cinema.
10. Dubai Marina: Spanning three kilometers along the Persian Gulf, the Dubai Marina will be the largest man-made marina in the world upon completion, and house over 12,000 residents and tourists.
Dubai Frame: The Dubai Frame is an architectural landmark in Zabeel Park, Dubai. It has been described by The Guardian newspaper as "the biggest picture frame on the planet, however is also controversial as the "biggest stolen building of all time” .